The first floor of the west house contains the dining room and kitchen, accessed from the living room through a glass link. The clients have guests that sometimes stay for extended periods in Chicago. At the front of the west house, a small guest apartment is provided with a separate entry from the street as well as a lockable door to the hallway adjacent to the kitchen.
The Owners and Architects worked together to design the Living Room to be the center of the home. Two areas separated by stairs create two sitting areas. The backyard and plantings become integrated with the interior by means of large windows. The connection to the adjacent building is defined by a large framed opening.
A young couple purchased two run down, post-fire homes in the Old Town District of Chicago and expressed a desire to combine the two properties into a single-family home. The homes were in an extreme state of disrepair. We worked closely with clients who were in love with the idea of living an historical home, but did not want to be confined to the aesthetics of the 1870’s – and besides, the original trim and plaster had long been removed. Here are some shots of the exterior – before and after. More on the interior next week
The stairs were completely reworked, using profiles of the original balusters to make the handrail code-compliant. Large oak veneer panels were sized to compliment the stairs in the hall.
The Conservatory is perched on the third floor, located over the guest room. Designed by Eifler & Associates, the glass house is fabricated from South African Mahogany and clad in copper in glass. The conservatory was manufactured in England, shipped to the site and installed by carpenters from the manufacturer near Oxford. The flooring is mosaic marble.